Saturday, March 29, 2008

Chennai, Copper Point - Old wine in a new bottle

GRT Grand's Indian restaurant Copper Point sports a completely new look and is now open for business.

Now more than the crazy ads all over town (old nannies dressed in traditional indian wear sporting chef's hats, masquerading to remind your of your grandma's cooking, urgh..), it was the buzz that I was hearing amongst friends that led me to Copper Point.

I visited the restaurant with a friend for dinner on a Thursday and was surprised to see the restaurant quite full for a week night. I was glad to see that the 2 level seating format had been retained (it has a charm of its own) though we were seated on the only 2 seater on the mezzanine level and it was rather uncomfortable. The others seats we were told were "reserved". As expected, no one showed up on those tables till we were about to leave. Anyway.

We ordered for a glass of red wine each and were happy to see that the Sula Sartori variety was open and being served. It was as usual, smooth. A good start. We then went on to order some starters. Now its been a while since I visited and I don't remember the exact names as on the menu but will refer to them in their most common parlance. We asked for the ubiquitous Paneer Tikka which impressed while our Tandoori Gobi was a huge disappointment - to the extent that we had to get the kitchen to change it for us. Tandoori Aloo came instead and was quite decent.

We decided to keep the main course light - 1 tandoori (kadak) roti, 1 garlic naan with Dal Makhni was all we ventured into. I have always let the Dal Makhni at a restaurant decide whether I like the place or not. Seriously, if the kitchen can get that right and somewhat different from that served in other eateries, they've done a pretty decent job. To say the least, I was amazed at how good the Dal Makhni turned out to be. Don't forget to catch my Dal Makhni special coming up in a few days. The rotis were excellent and made exactly how we wanted it - for once, we didn't have to send back the tandoori roti for want of it being "kadak" enough.

Desserts were given a miss as we were quite stuffed with our quick meal.

Copper Point definitely did not disappoint. I hope to go back soon enough with my carnivorous friends to write more about the non vegetarian fare. The live Indian music still stays to add to the warm ambience and actually sets the tone for a nice, cozy evening.

Women and kids will love the presence of in-house palmists and a caricaturist.

Meal for 2: Rs. 1000/- (without alcohol)
Meal for 2: Rs. 1800/- (with alcohol)
Website: http://www.grtgrand.com/grand/restaurant.htm
Address & Phone: GRT Grand, 120, Sir Thyagaraya Road, T. Nagar, Chennai - 600 017, Ph: 28150500 / 28155500

Reviewed by:
Harish Anand Thilakan
Date: 06th March 2008

8 comments:

Renie Ravin said...

Dude - copper chimney, best mutton biriyani I've had in a long time...!

anon said...

it's a pity i dont eat mutton no more. will someone enlighten me on the chicken biryani?

Harish Anand said...

Renie - try the mutton biriyani at 601, The Park. Its bloody good. Thinking of which, I guess I should do a top 5 destinations for biriyani in Chennai na? Any ideas?

Unknown said...

you should write about the best ice-creams, chocolates and deserts in town too =)

Ro said...

how bout a top 5 list of concept restaurants? (eg. bbq nation, kabab factory etc.?)..speaking of which, the dal at kabab factory would sure feature in my top 5 list!

Renie Ravin said...

Yeah... that's what I would order at the kabab factory... the dal... :-) Rochna, how's that 40D doing? Tried out any action photography by an chance?

Dude, thanks for the tip... Singree was nice. The lamb was so soft I could have sworn I was eating cute little bunnies.

Harish Anand said...

Neha - Dessert joints, coming up very soon. Right now suffering from a bad cold and so dessert joints will have to wait.. Any recommendations for chocolate joints? I can think of only Ecstasy and Maple Leaf. Am I missing out something?

Harish Anand said...

Hmm, maybe I should do a poll on which Dal should leave the list and which should come in?