Sunday, March 30, 2008

Chennai - War of the Dals

Its been over 1 year today since I bade farewell to the carnivorous side of my appetite. As a mark of the same, I thought I should list down the 5 best destinations for the one dish that has kept me good company as my staple restaurant pick for the past 1 year - Dal Makhni / Kali Dal / Black Dal, call it what you like! Enjoyed best with any form of roti or Jeera Pulav.

Following is the order of restaurants in Chennai which get my "pulse" racing:

1. Sigree
By far the best dal in the city - sometimes a little excess on the butter but always thick, rich and a never miss!

Address & Phone: #144/145, Hotel Quality Inn Aruna, 5th Floor, Sterling Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai - 600034. Ph:42664222

2. Copper Point (read full review)
A brand new entrant into the list and how! I was pleasantly surprised at how the medium thick, not-so-rich Dal Makhni stirred up such a rage on my last visit to this recently made over restaurant.

Address & Phone: GRT Grand, 120, Sir Thyagaraya Road, T. Nagar, Chennai - 600 017. Ph: 28150500 / 28155500

3. Peshawri
An all time Chennai favourite, was clearly the best destination for kali dal for over 10 years till the younger challengers came about. Still manages to retain its unique flavor and taste thanks to certain special cooking techniques.

Address & Phone: Hotel Chola Sheraton, Cathedral Road, Gopalapuram, Chennai - 600086. Ph: 28110101

4. Copper Chimney

The only multi grain dal to make it to this list, despite multi grains not winning much favor with me, the Copper Chimney kali dal has always been a mouth watering accompaniment to their excellent array of Indian breads.

Address & Phone: 74, Cathedral Road, Gopalapuram, Chennai - 600086. Ph: 28115770

5. Kabul
While the restaurant itself has gone through its highs and lows with the Chennai crowd, Kabul's 'Dal Kabul' has consistent, for over the 15 years that its been in business now.

Address & Phone:
35, TTK Road, Chennai 600018. Ph: 24996761

6 comments:

Renie Ravin said...

Food photography!

Rami Reddy said...

Harish, I always believe that grass is for cows :)
Can we have some reviews about some restaurant that serves good carnivorous food. Would really appreciate if you can suggest a few dishes too :)

Harish Anand said...

Chief! As I've indicated in my profile, I usually try my best to find carnivorous company when I head out to carry out my litmus tests. However, sometimes, I don't manage to find company who enjoy non veg food. However, please read through - the review on La Boulangerie has some decent Non veg picks and thoughts. Plus, do watch out for the upcoming Kabab Factory review - its a shocker!

Venky said...

a veggie in a kabab factory writing a review. paneer tikka, paneer tikka, more paneer tikka, a few coloured potatoes and undistinguishable seekh kebabs deserve no review. so pl get back to being carnivorous.

If you insist on staying a veggie, a review of the best meals in town is warranted. Alternatively gate crash the next wedding you cross and savour what they serve.

Malzeit mein freund. May be you need to think a bit less on food.

Renie Ravin said...

LOL!!!

I have another quote to add - "I didn't climb all the way to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian".

Jass said...

Totally have to agree with the sigree dal. Pure makhani awesomeness :)
Yet to try out daal at all the other places you recommend.