Saturday, April 5, 2008

Chennai, Zaras Tapas Bar - Re-fuel!

I've heard so much about the lunch at Zaras but have never really got a chance to sample it. I had also heard that 10 Downing had a pretty decent set lunch menu and I did sample it about 5 months back - pity I wasn't blogging then.

So anyway, this 1st of April, we decided to do lunch at Zaras. Again, I was in the company of a vegetarian friend and actually, credit goes to her for insisting on Zaras. I had also heard that Zaras now had a new menu.

With both of us having to go back to work after our lunch, we were quite wary of over eating. As a result, I decided to get the Lunch Combo while my friend got herself an appetizer. We both stayed away from the included free glass of beer though she substituted it with a Lemon Iced tea.

I asked for a Cottage Cheese tossed in Hot Chilly from the starter menu while she ordered herself a Salt & Pepper Baby corn (not a part of the set menu options). The set lunch menu has quite a few interesting options and is definitely worth sampling.

Both the baby corn and the cottage cheese were absolutely smashing. The baby corn was an all time special from the kitchen and nothing seemed to have changed - if we were to start getting very critical, it was probably a little more spicy than normal. However, the corn was really crisp and well done. The new cottage cheese preparation amazed me with how smooth it was in taste and texture. It was one of those servings that you wished would just never end.

I then got myself "Grilled Cottage Cheese slices layered with creamed spinach and melted cheese". A very very interesting innovation, it comes with cole slaw and lovely in house baked garlic bread. The whole cheese + paneer + cream combination did look quite imposing on the menu but I was very impressed with how they had managed a symphony of all the 3 without making me feel like I'd just consumed a slab of lead. It was not spicy, yet had a zing to it which I guess should be attributed to the hint of spicing in the paneer marinade.

I didn't really get a chance to sample too many items between us, but I do promise to go back there soon enough to get some more insights into their newly drafted menu. As of now, I'd still rate it as a "Must Try".

Special Lunch Deal - Pick any one Starter, Filler, Dessert and a mocktail or a glass of beer.
Veg - Rs. 225/-
Non Veg - Rs. 245/-

A La carte prices - as per attached menu

Website: NA
Address & Phone: 74, Hotel Oriental Inn, Cathedral Road, Gopalapuram, Chennai - 600 086. Ph: 28111462

Reviewed by:
Harish Anand Thilakan
Date: 01st April 08

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So this was your starter before you joined me for lunch.

Anonymous said...

I love zaras dude.....sooo miss that place....is good old dennis still around?? tat guy always has a table ready for me when i get there.....and now tat im not there....he has a table ready every time my girlfriend goes to zaras....talk bout customer loyalty :)

Harish Anand said...

Illa da, Mr. Arasu is the man in charge now.